Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happiness...

Some years back I remember reading a headline on the main page of Yahoo News that reported something like "Puertorricans are the Happiest People in the World." The news reported that the University of Michigan's World Values Surveys had compiled data on the happiest countries in the world for over twenty years, and their results were considered the most authoritative by happiness researchers. When individuals were asked ''taking all things together, if they would say that they were: 1. Very happy, 2. Rather happy, 3. Not very happy, 4. Not at all happy;" and then combined those results with their response to "on a scale of one to ten, all things considered, how satisfied they were with their life as a whole these days" a subjective well-being ranking was computed that placed Puertorricans as number 1 out of a total of 79 countries. Statistically and mathematically there are many considerations that take place which placed my culture in that privileged position. However, in the past I had never needed an official report to know this to be a fact. There is something special, interesting, and very obvious about the general mentality of most Puertorricans. I could write volumes with respect to this, but nothing will shed better light on this fact than me describing to you something that happened on my way from Los Angeles California to San Juan Puerto Rico.

I left my home early enough to arrive at the airport at least three hours early as recommended by the new security rules that had been placed right after the terrorist bomb attempt on the previous week's Detroit flight. Being early at the ticket counter only assured me an earlier spot in line, since the counter agents were all there, but had instructions not to open their posts until 8:30 p.m. Anxious passengers kept going back and forth to take advantage of the wait in order to weigh their bags and try to distribute their belongings in no more than 50 pounds of stuff in a single bag. Soon it was my turn to be checked in, go through security, and finally head to the correct departure terminal. The flight left only a few minutes late and we headed towards Fort Lauderdale, Florida at which I was to arrive at 7:30 a.m. and wait for my connecting flight to San Juan that departed at 10:40 a.m. The three hour layover went curiously fast as I met a very kind, interesting, and enlightening individual also waiting for his connecting flight, and we spent the time talking and sharing about many wonderful subjects. Soon I headed closer to my own terminal to make sure that I would be able to hear the announcements over the loudspeakers instructing us on when to board. It was obvious that this flight was going to be late leaving since even though we were to depart at 10:40 a.m., we did not actually start boarding until a bit past 11:00 a.m. Almost an hour after sitting in the plane a loudspeaker announcement from the cabin requested that we all pick up our personal items and get back off the plane because of some apparent problem with the aircraft. The terminal was already packed with people waiting to board a different plane that was to depart on its way to New York. Close to 200 people scattered around, mostly sitting on the floor, all waiting for any news on when we would be heading to our beloved island to celebrate New Year's Eve. Around 2:00 p.m. we finally received notice that we would be boarding a different plane out of a different terminal that would be departing around 3:30 p.m.

At least 200 passengers got up from their resting positions and gathered all of their belongings and headed from terminal H3 to terminal H10. On their way, someone decided to take out their guitar and start playing some Puertorrican Christmas music. We had not all arrived at Terminal H10 when at least one third of the passengers where already dancing and singing to the tune of "Esta es la Parranda" and "Quítale el Tapón." It was infectious. For almost two hours one song would lead into another and clapping and dancing was all you could hear from Terminal H10. Finally, sometime close to 3:30 p.m. everybody packed their party mood and took it onboard the aircraft. This is my count of times in which almost the entire crowd of passengers headed to San Juan gave out effusive cheers and clapping to show their joy during the flight:

1 - The pilot reports that instead of the previous 2 hours and 3 minutes of flight, this airplane would arrive in only 2 hours and 2 minutes instead. For this news the crowd broke out in euphoric applause.

2 - The pilot reports "I have good news and bad news...the bad news is that we are late...the good news is that we'll be arriving in time to celebrate New Year's in time in Puerto Rico." Another round of applause and cheering!

3 - The plane starts to move backwards and away from the terminal. More applause from the crowd.

4 - The plane starts to accelerate in the runway. Joy, cheering, and applause!

5 - The plane leaves the ground and finally is in the air. More clapping and cheering!

6 - The flight attendant reports that since we had such a long delay, the airline would be handing out $100 vouchers for future flights. Applauding and cheering all at once from the crowd!

7 - The pilot reports that we are less than 15 minutes away from landing and that if we look out of the right hand side of the aircraft we would be able to see the brilliant lights from the town of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico. Nothing could stop the crowd from their exaltation!

8 - The plane finally touches ground on the island airstrip. Probably the loudest of all the applause and cheers so far!!!

9 - The plane comes to a complete stop in the gate terminal in San Juan. WEPA!!! The final and most joyful moment of the trip!

Mind you my dear readers that this was a flight that at least in my schedule had me arriving 8 hours later than planned to my final destination. There was absolutely no food or drink dispensed on the plane, and with today's airport restrictions nobody in the crowd had been able to carry with them any kind of alcohol drink either. So in essence, this is a wonderful example of pure unadulterated happiness. I was indeed surprised that I never did hear anyone around me complaining or in anger because of the delay. On the contrary, the mood was intensely joyful and positive overall. I have no doubt than even though I am sure that our yearly status with respect to who are the happiest people on Earth might change, deep inside, this is proof enough for me that Puertorricans are by far the happiest people I know in person. I had to take time out of my fun trip to post this message from my sister's laptop before I would lose count of all of the applauding moments. Interestingly, as soon as I told this story to my family, I have an aunt that has made sure that the count is much higher by taking every chance she has to start the family and friends crowd going on in cheer and applause again. She then just looks and me and smiles to make sure I know that she's got me covered!

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment