Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why do bad things happen to good people? An answer...

Why does tragedy inflict its pain on so many innocent people in the world? To an atheist, the answer is simple, that is just the way life is, no more, no less. To those of us that believe in a Higher Power, natural disasters, illnesses, hunger, and so much more play a role that contradicts our strong belief that our God is a god of love. If the foundation of our belief system can so easily be challenged, what are we to do to be able to stay true to what for so many is the only source of hope in our lives? How do we answer the question, why do bad things happen to good people, and worse, why is it that God does not intervene to keep these things from happening in the first place? I remember clearly challenging God in my mind and heart when my father died at the young age of 44. I can only imagine how some of the people that I love must of felt when they lost their sons and daughters at even younger ages. Accidents, cancer, drugs, suicide, all have marked the hearts of beautiful people that did nothing to deserve the agony of losing a loved one to these tragic culprits in their lives.

The largest fear that I have always carried inside myself is whether I could ever survive the same tragedies that these people have survived. In fact, in my prayers I have always told my God to spare me, keep me from ever having to face such pain. Nobody should have to bury a son or a daughter. The degree of anguish to such a terrible reality is in my mind, unbearable, far beyond my ability to survive. Yet it happens to good people on a daily basis, without apparent rhythm, much less reason. Watching my oldest son make terrible choices in his life has by far been the biggest reason for me to make every effort in becoming a better father. I think that it is much more a matter of me trying with every ounce of my being to never have to face the pain of losing him than it is anything else. You must understand, I know this boy better than he knows himself. In fact, ironically I truly believe that I know him better than I know myself too. I can see in him the most amazing and beautiful things that nobody else is able to see. He is by far, the most talented young man I have ever met. To me, no matter what he does he is the most beautiful, loving, caring, and full of God person I know. The problem is that he is yet to know this himself. In the wilderness of his mind even though it is totally full of God's gifts there is still no self awareness of who has put it all in there for him. My son is destined to do great things in his life and to be a great man. However, only God knows when it will all come to pass and how much of it will I ever be a witness of in the end.

You may notice that in very few of my posts I have openly written about my belief system. There is nothing to hide, and the reason is simple, I have always tried to live what I believe, with very little need for having to talk about it. I have always wanted to allow my actions to speak for themselves. I am by no stretch of the imagination a saint, but I do hope that my goodwill, my caring, my humility, and most of all my love will reflect not only who I really am, but also the true intentions of my heart. In essence, I believe that God knows me well enough and He understands all my strengths and all my weaknesses. Recently I have had to face more and more the reality of how little power I have over the outcome of so much that matters to me in my life. This is probably the main reason for sharing these few posts that bring out more of what I believe in, and why I do so with so much conviction. More than the Benedictine medal embedded in a beautiful cross on my dresser, the seventeen empty glass jars that once contained candles which I lit in prayer, the short statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe, a compact prayer book, and the subtle marks of my knees on the carpet floor in front of it all, my heart and soul are the true source of my faith. I know, that regardless of my inability to make any real impact in my son's heart at his young and carefree age, there is a much greater power at work that has a plan for him and his life. I for one have absolutely no doubt that God is fully aware of what needs to be done in my son's life for it to come full circle and be of true value to all of those that surround him. There will be a moment in his life that will challenge all odds and bring forward the most amazing outcome. Of this I have absolutely no doubt. I do not believe this because of religion, it goes far beyond any crutch or emotional need that us humans might have to create something mystical when we do not understand what we see. I believe because I have learned that deep inside me there is a gap, a void if you please, that no matter what I might try to fill it with, nothing will work but my God. I do not profess this lightly since I have done an extensive search in my life to remedy this void with many other sources, but none will do. It is only when I let go of my mortal desires and the need for my body to feel whole, that then and only then I am able to find what my heart truly yearns for after all.

I plead to your sense of fairness, to that little voice inside of you that is constantly telling you that what I am sharing with you is absolutely true. Nothing in your life really makes total sense until you add God into the equation. You might, just as I have done myself many times, find a million excuses to ignore what your heart is telling you to be true. I am telling you today, just as the sun will rise up tomorrow morning, there is nothing you or I can do to run away and avoid the reality that there is something much greater than just existing for the sake of it, or because that is what science might teach you. I for one am more of a scientist at heart than you might ever be, and still I know, I really know that there is much more than just physics to life. Intertwined in the fabric of space, time, and our existence, a much more profound understanding is required to be enlightened than just science in itself. Go ahead, I challenge you to spend your life in search of this meaning that eludes us all in the grips of science, sooner or later you will be exactly where I am today asking almighty God to bring whatever it is that your soul will need to be whole so that you can be at peace.

So why is it that bad things happen to good people? Maybe the answer is much simpler than many have made it out to be. Maybe there is no such thing as bad things. They are all just things. Some may seem better than others, after all love definitely feels better than hate. However, how would you know what true love feels like if you had never felt hate? How would you know to appreciate life, if you had never experienced what death is like? A bad relationship gives much more meaning to a good one that wanders into your life afterwards. A difficult child, teaches you to appreciate the one that is constantly trying to please you and be fair with your efforts as a parent. Don't be so quick to judge God when a natural disaster, a terrible disease, or an accident brings you to your knees. After all, if life was perfect, then how would you be able to recognize the face of God when it walked into your life in the shape of so many miracles that you know you have had so far?

"I am waiting dear Lord, take my son and make him what only You are capable of making him into, so that I can give testimony of your almighty power and love."

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment